A question about a recipe: Brooke Dojny's Blueberry Snack Cake with Toasted Pecan Topping

7b923b1b 9337 4c5e 9356 a84f60acb160  food52 07 10 12 0641

I have a question about the recipe "Brooke Dojny's Blueberry Snack Cake with Toasted Pecan Topping" from Genius Recipes. Can you use buttermilk in place of regular or lowfat milk?

asked by Pattya over 5 years ago

You may have to add some baking soda along with the baking powder. I am not an expert on ratio's maybe someone else will see this who knows. The recipe only calls for 1/3 cup milk and 1 tsp baking powder. I read that you are supposed to reduce the baking powder and add in the same amount of baking soda when subbing buttermilk for sweet milk. In this case I don't know how much

Sadassa_Ulna

Found this online: "For each cup of buttermilk used in place of sweet milk, reduce the amount of baking powder by 2 teaspoons, and replace with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda."
Therefore you would use 1/3 teaspoon baking powder and 1/6 tsp. baking soda with the 1/3 cup buttermilk. I would try it - buttermilk makes everything better in my opinion!

maryvelasquez

Thank you, Sadassa_Ulna, for these precise adjustments. I used them when I substituted buttermilk for milk and it worked perfectly.