A question about a recipe: Marinated Garden

A0e2c6d7 ee90 4819 8707 91586f90d09f  harvest

I have a question about the recipe "Marinated Garden" from aargersi. Since this is a refrigerater pickle, do you have to sterilize the jars?

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Trena-- Sounds like aargersi only intended these to stay in fridge for max few weeks, in which case sterilizing seems unnecessary. How long were you wanting to keep them?

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Thanks for responding Rebecca! I was only planning on keeping them for a week.

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

No problem! I defer to aargersi, of course. Good luck!

I agree with Rebecca, I make refrigerator pickles and jams all the time, I do sterilize my jars although it's probably not necessary. I only do that just in case I need to keep them longer than I anticipate. Purlly precautionary on my part.

I wish there were an edit button Purely not purly, LOL

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Thanks Suzanne! I make them frequently also and up until today I've always sterilized the jars, however the summer lazies prompted my question.

dymnyno

Sterilizing is easy...just run the jars through the dishwasher. You would want any container to be at least that clean.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Thanks dymnyno! I agree sterilizing jars in a dishwasher is easy, however I am not so lucky to have one.

dymnyno

I think some canners just put the jars in the oven for a while at a temperature like 300 degrees and when cooled they are sterilized.

Joe Brophy

if your only keeping them for a week or so you don't have to, although I would recommend that you do anyway, it's very easy preheat your oven to 225F rinse jars with hot water (make sure you have no cracks in the jars) dry jars and place directly on rack leave for minimum of 10 minutes for the lids soak in boiling water for about 5 minutes, let jars cool and dry lids. hope this helps

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Thanks, Joe!