A question about a recipe: Almond Joy Candy Bars

I have a question about the recipe "Almond Joy Candy Bars" from Kristin Rosenau. This may be an odd question, but I'm wondering if you could use the magic shell recipe for he coating. Would it stay hard, or would it soften at room temp? The only reason I thought of it was that you're coating frozen candies. Thanks

386e5e68 5a26 4851 b840 ed92ec7d5261  img 0831 2
Recipe question for: Almond Joy Candy Bars

Hilarybee
Hilarybee July 22, 2013

Hi beejay-

I think you are going to have to lessen the amount of coconut oil to get the coating to be firm on the candies. I would try whisking 2 or 3 tablespoons of room temperature (solid) coconut oil into the tempered chocolate and proceed dipping. The more coconut oil, the more liquidy the chocolate coating will be. And I think the less likely it will behave like ganache.

beejay45
beejay45 July 23, 2013

Thanks, Hilarybee! I guess what I should really do is not be so lazy and just make the ganache. Always trying to save a step, but it doesn't always work.