A question about a recipe: Bacon coffee cake

C99ce5bd d40c 46ba 836f b7c1fa883ab3  2010 12 05 17.22.00

I have a question about the recipe "Bacon coffee cake" from zest in the midwest. This is certainly an intriguing recipe... I wonder how you would serve it--as a kind of "bread," accompanying a meal, for example?

asked by MrsK over 5 years ago

With all the sugar in it, it looks like a quick coffee cake to me. It’s the type of thing for a mid-morning Kaffee Klatsch.

MrsK

Wow, with bacon, I'd never have thought... Thanks, though.

If you taste bacon carefully, I think you will notice that it has elements of sweetness. With the US sweet tooth craving ever more sugar, I think that is one of the reasons bacon is being used in unlikely places. Also, the saltiness in bacon complements sweet foods.

MrsK

I guess my surprise is because when I think "bacon" I think smoked bacon... Thanks, though! (You want to talk about "sweet tooth" check the Portuguese! Brazilian sweets are nauseatingly sweet to everyone--including Americans--because we're heavily influenced by Portuguese.)

nutcakes

I would serve this as a mid morning or afternoon snack with coffee or tea. Or as part of a brunch. Not as a side with dinner--too sweet, but you could use it as dessert.