Help! Can I freeze Ratatouille? I have so much and just can't eat it all right now.

asked by Adianne almost 5 years ago

petitbleu

Go for it! The only way to know is to try it. And, worst case scenario, when you thaw it the texture might not be as good.

Yes, do it. This past weekend in the Incredible Shrinking LA Times food section Thomas Keller did a "Master Class" piece on ratatouille and one of his suggstions was to turn it into a soup---you just puree it in a blender. I'm sure it's available on-line but you might have to be subscriber to access it.

Now, pierino, that's a great idea. I was about to say that technically you CAN freeze ratatouille, but I did it one time and it was unbearably mushy when it came out. However, if I'd thought of pureeing it into a soup, I might not have been so disappointed.

Declan

Yes, it freezes pretty well. Zuccini and Eggplant, however, tend to absorb moisture and can wind up "soggy".
Why not make a veggie lasagne of it. That fixes the potential problem by 1) dry heat (oven) after thawing and 2) the lasagne pasta also absorbs moisture.

If you are pressed for the freezer space that a full lasagna would take, combine CarolineOne & Pierino ideas for soup or sauce, freeze now, make a lasagna when you need it.

Adianne

Thank you. All great suggestions!

Adianne, fwiw, ratatouille is my favorite summer food. In my book I include a recipe for a ratatouille terrine and also for sausage sandwiches with ratatouille (in lieu of peppers and onions. Those are some ideas you might also like to try.

louisez

What is the title of your book, Chef June?

caroline0ne

If chopped finely, it makes a great pasta sauce.

Can you? Yes. should you? No as it loses all its fresh vibrancy.

I've done it many times. If it get too soft, puree it. Same wonderful taste with a new texture.