A question about a recipe: Keema (minced meat)

47bbfe9c eb57 4b62 aee8 329da35ced7e  st830339

I have a question about the recipe "Keema (minced meat)" from Rohit Mitter. I wonder if instead of "tamarind concentrate paste" I can use dried tamarind soaked than mashed?

asked by MrsK about 5 years ago

Pam p

Yes, it is totally okay (probably even better) to use dried tamarind rather than the concentrate. However, you really should boil the tamarind in a little bit of water, drain the resulting juice and use that. A golf ball sized ball of tamarind in 1/3 cup of water should do it. Draining out the pulp will keep the seed and fibers out of your keema.

MrsK

Sorry, but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to tamarind. Although we drink tamarind juice in Brazil, we guy it bottled. The tamarind I have was given me by an Indian friend and I've never worked with it. You mean, drain the juice and use the resulting pulp or the juice? Sorry for the trouble...

Pam p

No, I mean drain out the pulp and use the thick juice. You do have to boil it however, soaking won't give you enough of the flavor.

MrsK

Thanks a lot for the info--and for your patience! Have a good weekend.