A question about a recipe: Tahoe Brunch

I have a question about the recipe "Tahoe Brunch" from sensiblebloomers. Would it change the cook temp/time if using potatoes instead of bread?

• Posted by: Trisha
  • August 7, 2013
2d6bdab3 4206 4c3d ac52 e428177251bc  default recipe
Recipe question for: Tahoe Brunch

Lindsay-Jean Hard August 7, 2013

Getting rid of the bread changes this from a strata to more of an egg casserole. So in addition to making the potato/bread swap, I'd bump up the eggs to 10-12 or more (and cut the milk), increase the oven temp to 375, and start checking it after 25-30 minutes. You might want to compare with other egg casserole recipes too - this one: http://thepioneerwoman... which is somewhat similar to what you'll end up, with cooks at 400 for 20 minutes.

nutcakes
nutcakes August 7, 2013

That would be a strange thing to do because the bread is very important to the dish. The bread absorbs the egg so they are incorporated into a single unit, like french does does, and they make a type of savory bread pudding/custard. Potatoes won't do that. You will end up with more of a frittata. I guess I'm basically repeating what Lindsay-Jean says, but she is dead on about adjusting the cooking time, because just cooking plain eggs poured on vegetables for an hour will give you rubbery inedible results.