🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Tahoe Brunch

4a72e511 cc0d 11e5 b1dc 3c15c2d2bb38  38 full

I have a question about the recipe "Tahoe Brunch" from sensiblebloomers. Would it change the cook temp/time if using potatoes instead of bread?

asked by Trisha over 4 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Getting rid of the bread changes this from a strata to more of an egg casserole. So in addition to making the potato/bread swap, I'd bump up the eggs to 10-12 or more (and cut the milk), increase the oven temp to 375, and start checking it after 25-30 minutes. You might want to compare with other egg casserole recipes too - this one: http://thepioneerwoman... which is somewhat similar to what you'll end up, with cooks at 400 for 20 minutes.

That would be a strange thing to do because the bread is very important to the dish. The bread absorbs the egg so they are incorporated into a single unit, like french does does, and they make a type of savory bread pudding/custard. Potatoes won't do that. You will end up with more of a frittata. I guess I'm basically repeating what Lindsay-Jean says, but she is dead on about adjusting the cooking time, because just cooking plain eggs poured on vegetables for an hour will give you rubbery inedible results.