A question about a recipe: Savory Crème Brûlée with a Crispy Caramelized Leek Crust

I have a question about the recipe "Savory Crème Brûlée with a Crispy Caramelized Leek Crust" from boulangere. What do you think about substituting shallots for the leeks? That's what I have on hand.

aargersi August 13, 2013

I think that would work - the flavor will be a bit stronger than leeks - 3 leeks would likely be something like 6 large shallots so hopefully you have quite a few of them on hand

ChefJune August 13, 2013

I've done it many times, but no way do they taste the same.

boulangere August 13, 2013

I agree with Abbie that the flavor is going to be stronger, so I'd suggest a smaller quantity of shallots, say 2 or 3. It sounds lovely, so please let us know how it turns out for you.

dickensthedog
dickensthedog August 14, 2013

Thank you so much Abbie, Cynthia, and June, for taking the time and effort to answer my question. You won't believe it, but I received leeks in my CSA share today, so I will be making the Savory Creme Brulee with leeks after all! But I will probably try it with shallots in the future as well, since I love shallots, and I always have them in the house. I will be sure to let you know how it turns out with the shallots. Again, it was so nice of you to come to the rescue!

boulangere August 14, 2013

Well aren't you lucky! Still, I'd love to hear how your shallot version turns out.

dymnyno
dymnyno August 14, 2013

I often sub vegetables like leeks and scallions and shallots that share a similar flavor profile. If you are following someones recipe, have respect for the subtle differences of flavor that you are changing by substituting ingredients. It is important for the developer of the recipe!