🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Seven Day Sweets (Luvey's Sweet Pickles)

2e8508a1 8496 4bb0 8e1d 9ce8933b8401  pickel

I have a question about the recipe "Seven Day Sweets (Luvey's Sweet Pickles)" from MrsWheelbarrow. The alum is for firmness? I am not concerned about alum; I just don't have any. The USDA no longer recommends its use, I think? Is the alum step necessary for the safety of the pickles?

asked by AmandaO over 4 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Check out her blog to find the recipe which has comments about alum.

Alum is added to maintain the crispness or crunch in the pickle.
There has been some questions about a health risk due to its chemical relationship to aluminum