🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Creamy Spring Turnip Soup With Wilted Radish Greens And Bacon

655bec49 ce34 4b6e bf04 868bb2cf044b  food52 06 05 12 2982

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Spring Turnip Soup With Wilted Radish Greens And Bacon" from sdebrango. I just got a lot of turnips in my CSA bag. I also got a good amount of scallions/green onions. Do you think I could replace leeks with scallions? Or would the scallions be too strong tasting? Thanks as always for your help!

asked by CarlaCooks about 4 years ago

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I think you could definitely replace the leeks with scallions. The soup will taste different, but not in a bad way. The recipe calls for 3 leeks, so you'll have to approximate the amount of scallions that would be the equivalent of 3 leeks--maybe 3 bunches of scallions?

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Sounds like a tasty substitute to me.

sounds like a winner to me!

4421619e f544 4703 9273 6e95dc123a79  black picture small

I would go by weight myself....and leeks vary so in size...2 large or 3 medium weigh 1 1/4 lb...so I would use the same amount of green onions...

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

Thanks for all of your reassurances! I am going to give it a go. I have one really big bunch of scallions, so I think I'll use those to replace the three small leeks (the scallions have such a bolder taste that I think it will work fine to replace the leeks with a smaller quantity of scallions). I'll write back on Saturday to let you know how it tasted :)

Final verdict: the scallions were lovely in the soup! I used 6 rather large scallions, tops and bottoms, and they weren't overwhelming. You should give it a try if you find yourself with turnips and scallions. Thanks for all of your input!