A question about a recipe: Moonshine Marshmallows

8057d1ed 1676 46d3 ab27 9ac85be5bb49  06may2011 brooklynsm 7e0a6b

I have a question about the recipe "Moonshine Marshmallows" from Caitlin Freeman. Can you make the marshmallows without the moonshine and still have the consistency be the same?

asked by Sarah D over 5 years ago

SeaJambon

Yes. Use a teaspoon of vanilla in place of the moonshine to give it a nice vanilla flavor as the moonshine only appears to be in there for flavor -- oh, and add it at the end after whipping, just whip one additional minute after adding the vanilla. Since it is (relatively speaking, with regard to all the other quantities) a substantial addition of a liquid of a type (alcohol) that actually degrades whipping a bit, you will likely find that your consistency is improved by removing it, and that you will have a lighter, fluffier, taller marshmallow as a result.