A question about a recipe: Lemon Birthday Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon Birthday Cake" from Eric Liftin. Can you make the frosting the the night before and frost it then, or is it better to make the frosting but frost it the next day just before serving? also is it possible to halve the recipe and not layer it? Just trying to simplify! thanks

Bd360e6e 5f90 4ec9 99a4 9e0913bdd532  062309f 1323
Recipe question for: Lemon Birthday Cake

Monita August 16, 2013

It would be best to frost the cake on the day you're serving it but would be ok to make the frost the day before. Just let it come to room temp before attempting to use it. All the ingredients for the cake can easily be halved and then you can make it as a one layer cake

ChefJune August 16, 2013

Been baking cakes for what seems like centuries, and always frost the cake right away. Mom always said the frosting acted as a sealant for the cake and helped keep it moist. I don't know how scientific that is, but she made the best cakes EVAH! You can definitely make a one layer cake, but why? The higher the cake is the more impressive! I mostly do two-layer cakes, but the three-ers are SO grand.