best type of beans for vegetarian chili - not kidney beans

I was hoping the food52 community could recommend their favorite chili beans for my vegetarian chili. My husband hates kidney beans so I can't use them. Thanks for any suggestions!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked about 5 years ago

Any beans work in vc - cannelini beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans...and they are wonderful together.

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I would go with Great Northern, navy, and/or pinto beans. Great Northern hold their shape well, while pintos can be softer. I depends on the texture you want - or experiment with a combination.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Chickpeas can also be a nice, less traditional, addition!

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

MTMitchell

I use whatever we have in the cabinet to use up (within reason) and mix them all up. Especially if I starting with dried beans. I always seem to have bags in the pantry with like 30 beans left in them and I hate to throw them out. Chili is a nice way to use them up.