🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere

6964e69f 01ba 451a a05a 8238e0022ccd  060711f 592

I have a question about the recipe "Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere" from Amanda Hesser. Vegetarian substitute for anchovy? Or can I leave it out?

asked by Kate over 4 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You can leave it out, no problem.

I think the safe answer for this recipe is to leave it out.
I'm a big fan of adding umami or a depth of savory flavors to food as long as they all play well together.
The old school vegetarian substitute for anchovies and fish sauce in thai cooking was either a blend of chopped oil-cured olives and seaweed (nori) or red miso paste. The not that new "hot"ingredient for vegetarian pantries is umeboshi paste which is madefrom pickled
plums. I have a habit of putting a spoon of red miso paste in
most tomato sauces or red wine sauces.