A question about a recipe: Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere

6964e69f 01ba 451a a05a 8238e0022ccd  060711f 592

I have a question about the recipe "Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere" from Amanda Hesser. Would panko work for the coarse breadcrumbs? I have regular and whole wheat versions.

asked by Gibson2011 about 5 years ago

I think Panko would be fine. I often sub panko for bread crumbs

Panko works fine - that's what I used and the dish was delicious. I'd recommend regular Panko instead of whole wheat for flavor reasons.

I was about to say the same thing, Pegeen. This is such a delicious way to use the bounty of summer squash. And the Salsa Verde is so good for many additional uses. Panko is a handy item to have on hand for quick toppings.

Thanks June, Pegeen, and Monita -- I appreciate you weighing in. And I agree, panko is fine!