A question about a recipe: West Village Beef Stew

E6e60a9f d66a 49d8 8fcd ba017553cfde  coffee stew 1

I have a question about the recipe "West Village Beef Stew" from AntoniaJames. Should I make any changes (e.g., time, temp) if I'm using bison "stew meat" instead of beef? (I don't cook with meat often so any advice appreciated.)

asked by emf224 about 5 years ago

Bison is leaner than beef, and tends to cook a bit more quickly. I would be generous with the amount fat used to brown the meat and then just keep an eye on it and taste test the meat periodically. It's not so terribly different from beef that you need to make major adjustments ... just some small ones!

emf224

Thanks. I just happen to have some tasty bacon fat on hand.

Abbie is correct on bison and lean. That's something you do need to compensate for. Bacon fat works. So does lard or salt pork. This is a slow braise which is forgiving but with lean meat you risk biting into touch pieces. Same holds for venison.