A question about a recipe: Cider-Sage Gravy

I have a question about the recipe "Cider-Sage Gravy" from ChrisandAmy. Thoughts on Rosemary instead of Sage? I'm thinking about using rosemary instead of sage for a twist on the cider/sage gravy to go with a herb roasted chicken

F9572f1a 749c 4889 8ba8 6edb6ea133d7  2015 1016 match pewter gravy boat carousel mark weinberg 303
Recipe question for: Cider-Sage Gravy

Pegeen September 30, 2013

I think Rosemary would be lovely. You want to use several whole, bushy branches... not to be left with the task of straining out tiny needles from the gravy.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee September 30, 2013

Very true. Duly noted. Off to give it a try.

Pegeen September 30, 2013

From my understanding of your skills, it will be delicious! Wish I lived closer. Will wash dishes for leftovers. :-)

Pegeen October 1, 2013

Hilarybee, if you have time, I'd love to know how this worked out. It seems a good, quick gravy and adaptable to several herbs. Hope it went well!

Hilarybee
Hilarybee October 1, 2013

Pegeen, it was fabulous. My husband said it was the best gravy I've ever made. I've made this recipe many times, never with rosemary before. I don't think I'll go back to sage; the rosemary was that good. I did have to add substantially more sea salt than called for. I also added white pepper, too. It was perfect on top of herb roasted chicken. I froze the left overs for the future, should chicken breast doctoring be necessary in the coming months.

Pegeen October 2, 2013

So glad it went well! Depends on the dish, but I often prefer rosemary myself. I wonder if a combo of rosemary and thyme would go well. You used pan juices from the roast chicken, right? Making a note about the salt.... Kosher salt was mentioned in the recipe and sea salt is gentler so might need more? If you have time to add to the recipe page, it would be great to mention your experience with subbing rosemary. Thanks. Good to hear your tips!