A question about a recipe: Quick Pickled Apples

821ac86f 15c0 4516 be68 c51a7622d409  2013 0916 wc quick pickled apples 011

I have a question about the recipe "Quick Pickled Apples" from hardlikearmour. What would you use in these instead of star anise? I'm just not that crazy about the spice, as it tends to overwhelm other flavors on on my palate. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

asked about 5 years ago

How about stick cinnamon? Cinnamon is always a good flavor wth apples. Or you could go with cardamom, though I prefer it with pears. Or allspice is a little "exotic."

Hilarybee

Cardamom would be my pick. I always add cardamom to my apple pie spice mix.

Thanks so much. All of these suggestions sound good. Maybe I'll try some using each . . . . thinking, too, that I might add some candied orange peel with the allspice; and I do like nutmeg with cardamom. The possibilities seem endless. ;o)

littleman

I like cardamom, too. Perhaps some cloves? Sparingly.

You (or we, as I can think of no excuse not to make these!) might also experiment with alternatives to the maple syrup, which is a dominating taste as well and might interfere with some of the different spice options.