The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I'd use half the amount of greens -- they'll be more bitter than mustard greens but I think it's worth trying.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

Certainly--in Portugal, the soup is made with a whole variety of wild (and cultivated) chicories. The amount of bitterness varies from one type to another, and from one season to another, but that's what adds interest to the recipe. But what do you do if the soup gets too bitter? Same thing you do with too much salt--add potatoes, cut in dice, and cooked in the stock. It will be a different soup but still, I'm sure, delicious.

Gee, I find mustard greens more bitter than dandies. They're also less "hardy" -- as in they need much less cooking time before they're ready to eat, so I'd adjust the cooking time for them.