A question about a recipe: Concord Grape Smash

23e7ce80 4fce 4430 aaa6 606799d8fc22  2013 0924 grape smash 008

I have a question about the recipe "Concord Grape Smash" from Erik Lombardo. I'm not a big fan of rum, any suggestions for a good substitute?

asked by caroberts77 about 5 years ago

msmely

It's hard to reproduce the caramelly sweetness of a proper rum. I much prefer dark rum to white rum for precisely this reason. If you're wanting booze without the rum flavor, your best option is a neutral spirit like vodka, which would be similarly clear in colour with a comparable alcohol content. If you did this, I'd suggest making your sugar syrup with some brown sugar in order to impart a bit of molasses flavor to the drink.

I think it would be really good with a botanical gin like Aviation.

Brian

Bourbon could be good. I guess it would be a concord grape mint julep, not a smash. I also agree with hardlikearmour, gin would be wonderful.