A question about a recipe: Cornbread with Chorizo

I have a question about the recipe "Cornbread with Chorizo" from boulangere. Chorizo - is this the hard already cooked chorizo, or uncooked, more like Italian sausages? Thanks, nt

• Posted by: ntt2
  • October 16, 2013
8ffab895 d1de 4b7a a2f7 427e6e0d0122  food52 06 19 12 9097
Recipe question for: Cornbread with Chorizo

AntoniaJames October 16, 2013

The recipe calls for "bulk" chorizo which means the uncooked kind, that looks more like a breakfast sausage. In most cases, you'll get the soft variety of chorizo in casings, from which you must squeeze out the sausage, to crumble up and cook for this purpose. I've saved this recipe for Thanksgiving weekend . . . it looks like such a good one! ;o)

ntt2
ntt2 October 16, 2013

Thanks so much! Regards, nt

pierino October 16, 2013

Boulangere would be the best person to answer this herself. Chorizo is a fairly broad term because in Spanish it just means "sausage". Spanish regional chorizos are very different from the Mexican style. For cooking I generally use a semi-cured variety as to one which has aged longer. "Hard" does not mean it's already been cooked, it's just been curing for a long time in controlled climate.

boulangere October 16, 2013

By calling for "bulk chorizo browned, drained, and cooled," I meant raw chorizo not packed in casings that you cook, then drain and allow to cool.