🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Creamy Spring Turnip Soup With Wilted Radish Greens And Bacon

655bec49 ce34 4b6e bf04 868bb2cf044b  food52 06 05 12 2982

I have a question about the recipe "Creamy Spring Turnip Soup With Wilted Radish Greens And Bacon" from sdebrango. Why does the recipe call for peeling the turnips? I left mine unpeeled to add color and assuming alot of the nutrients are in the colorful skin.

asked by Mateo almost 4 years ago

Hahahaha! Just realized I used radishes instead of turnips! Alternatively why would one peel the turnips? I prefer to cook even roots and such with the skin, being the skin commonly is rich in nutrients. I buy organic only when it comes to veggies that are grown underground as many, such as potatoes, tend to retain residual chemicals from pesticides and the like.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Most people peel the turnips because they find the peel gritty but if scrubbed properly there's no reason you have to peel them. In fact, baby turnips are rarely peeled