🔕 🔔

Ok. GROSSED OUT. Brought home cod broiled it up andSpouse aWhat is this? It looked like a worm. Ugh. Dangerous???

asked by wssmom almost 4 years ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Happens to me very frequently. Finally at Whole Foods a helpful worker taught me how to check ahead: hold the raw fish fillets up against a bright light and cut the critter out. Sometimes the fish monger will do it for you.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

Whew. Great quick responses!!! Will sleep ok tonight thank you!!

Wholefoods user icon

Bad news kids. All fish can have worms. In the processing plants, the filets going to higher end distributors are light boxed. The rest are just visually inspected. While it is kind of gross, most of the time you don't even know they are there since they are the same color as the fish flesh. I guess its just another protein source.