🔕 🔔

Help! Does anybody have an outstanding arroz con pollo recipe?

I've been looking for an arroz con pollo recipe for some time and so far I haven't found anything I love. Does anyone in the Food52 community have a stunner? Thank you!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked almost 4 years ago

I guess this should fall in the category of "not a recipe" as it is just a design. Your ingredients should include short grain rice, chicken pieces (of course), stock, saffron definitely,chorizo if you like, chicken livers if you want to sneaky, and then cook it up in an earthenware cazuela. The chicken needs to be browned first and you add the stock all at once. Don't stir. Just stick it in the oven or, better cook slowly on your gas range. Other embellishments might include roasted red peppers. And that is just the schematic, so introduce your own ideas.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Thanks Pierino. Sounds like you've given me some great ideas!

Trena Heinrich

You make a great point bonbonmarie re: the regional variations associated with making arroz con pollo. I look forward to trying your recipe when you post it. Many thanks!

Bf9d103f f89c 4113 9802 320193576af6  photo 3

posted! I hope it makes sense; it took a bit of deciphering. Happy cooking!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I make Jacqueline Higuera McMahon's "Californio" (yes, it is spelled correctly) version: From California Rancho Cooking.
2-3 cloves garlic
1 t. salt
2 t. chile powder
1/2 t. cumin seeds
1 T. olive oil
1 3-lb. chicken (she has you skin it, but I leave skin on)
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, minced
[1 slice ham, cut into strips] I haven't used
2 Italian sweet sausages (optional)
1 C. long-grain rice
3 C. water or chicken stock
2 T. dry sherry
Mash garlic, salt, cumin with olive oil and chile powder into a paste. Rub over chicken parts. Allow to sit 1/2 hour. Saute in the one T. olive oil until lightly browned. Remove and saute the onion and rice for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Remove onion and pour out excess oil. Return chicken and onion to pan along with stock, sherry, ham and sausages. Bring to simmer, simmer 10 minutes. Cover tightly and bake 350º oven for about 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Allow to rest, covered 10 minutes. Really good!

Trena Heinrich

This sounds delicious. Thank you creamtea!

I have had great success with the following: http://markbittman.com...