🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Moorish Paella

8d2c3232 3ebd 4f05 b05b 753ad71700ab  102610f 227

I have a question about the recipe "Moorish Paella " from NWB. The only pans I have that are large enough are nonstick pans... is this recipe not worth attempting until I get a nonstick paella pan? Or would it be OK with any tweaks?

asked by TP3 almost 4 years ago

You could probably make this in any sort of pan as long as it is large enough to fit everything, no?

A traditional paella is NOT NON-STICK. It's stainless. And the name of the dish actually refers to the pan itself. Actually, you would/should welcome a bit of stickiness at the bottom.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Paella is traditionally made in a wide, shallow pan to help the rice develop a toasty crust -- "socarrat" -- at the bottom. Non-stick pans hinder socarrat (and fond) development but, hey, better than going hungry!

TP3

Thanks for the answers! Pardon the typo. To clarify, I meant to ask: Should I not even attempt the dish without a traditional stainless paella pan? Would the paella without soccarat just be disappointing? I'm ruling yes--though agreed, anything is better than going hungry!

I think Pierino phrased it perfectly -- a bit of crust is a good thing. However, none at all is far better than too much (please don't ask me how many times I've learned that lesson).