A question about a recipe: Turkey Pozole Verde

C4d16351 450c 4124 91cb b32f29267ed9  turkey pozole verde

I have a question about the recipe "Turkey Pozole Verde" from lastnightsdinner. I'm making a variation with some leftover pork loin and I want to use the seeds from a sugar pumpkin I have for the pepitas. My question is this: do I need to shell the pepitas after I roast them? Thanks!

asked by The Principal Cook almost 5 years ago

I assume yes, since commercial pepitas are hulled.

The Principal Cook

I actually did a little homework with Rick Bayless and learned that they do need be hulled (I also learned that most sane people buy them already hulled; having just spent the last hour hulling 1/4 cup, I know see why!).

What I did was blanch them in salted water, drain them, and then snip the ends with a pair of kitchen shears. One 3-lb pumpkin yielded about a half a cup.