A question about a recipe: Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries

I have a question about the recipe "Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries" from TheRunawaySpoon. Is there a certain type of blue cheese that is recommended for this recipe?

139fbc2a a6aa 4bed a036 2df768e3d391  2015 1109 thumbprint cookies bluecheese and fig preserves alpha smoot 267
Recipe question for: Fig and Blue Cheese Savouries

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 21, 2013

I plan on making these for the 1st time to bring as a hostess gift for my MIL for x-mas presented in a mason job. Maybe these would work? The reviews are amazing. Check the comments for more info. http://food52.com/recipes...

Nomnomnom
Nomnomnom November 21, 2013

Hi Lambchop, that is the recipe I was planning to make. Just wondering of there is a specific type of blue cheese that would work better for these. I read many of the comments, but there are now over 150--clearly a good sign!--I've not read each and every one. Just thinking that perhaps someone who has made them before can suggest what direction to go. Some are more creamy/buttery and others are drier. Thanks!

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 21, 2013

I responded to the wrong hotline question but your question is a good one. I read from the comments gorgonzola, stilton and general blue cheese. I'm thinking with sweetness with the fig jam (which I have in the house) an assertive blue cheese, but I'm unsure. Looking forward to any responses for suggestions. I may check out Runawayspoon's blog or ask the person at Whole Foods (live less than a mile from one), or better yet my local cheese shop what they recommend.

Nomnomnom
Nomnomnom November 21, 2013

Very kind of you! My thought was that the variety of cheese used could affect how delicate the finished product is. I noticed several comments mentioning that theirs were very delicate probe to crumbling). Thanks for your input!

amysarah November 21, 2013

I haven't made this particular recipe, but do make a couple very similar ones. I usually use Stilton - lots of flavor and goes well with jammy fruity things.

Nomnomnom
Nomnomnom November 21, 2013

Thanks amysarah! That makes sense too. Fruit + stilton = yum.

dymnyno
dymnyno November 21, 2013

Cowgirl Creamery makes my favorite!

Nomnomnom
Nomnomnom November 23, 2013

I found the answer in the photos on the recipe page. There is some text from A&M on one image which says to use "a good, firm blue cheese -- nothing too creamy, or the dough will be sticky." Good to know!

Nomnomnom
Nomnomnom November 23, 2013

arcane54
arcane54 November 23, 2013

Lucky you! I've made these (they are delicious!) and I agree that a more crumbly cheese is better. You might play with the thinness before you bake up a whole sheet pan worth. I rolled out a thinner dough because I wanted a crisper bite... but I ended up having to eat most of my first batch because they shattered. Darn the luck.

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 23, 2013

Ty nomnomnom! Cant wait to make these! Let me know if you come across any additional helpful hints.

Nomnomnom
Nomnomnom November 24, 2013

Likewise, Lambchop! With all the anticipation I hope they turn out for both of us. Cheers and happy holiday!