A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. Do a 12-pound turkey and a 16-pound turkey really cook for about the same time? If not, how do I figure out time for a 13-pound bird? Thanks!

asked by THewat about 5 years ago

former Community Editor

For a standard bird, we recommend roasting at 425 for the first 30 minutes, and then reducing the heat to 325 degrees. Pull your turkey when its internal temperature reaches 160 degrees -- it will rise to 165 while it rests. Temp is more important than time, but plan for approximately 13 minutes per pound.

"Thermometer (instant or regular) to check temp of your turkey: priceless"