A question about a recipe: Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)

Ec3c1da0 82a5 4554 9acc 36dfd77f86af  2016 1028 judy bird bobbi lin 11189

I have a question about the recipe "Russ Parsons' Dry-Brined Turkey (a.k.a. The Judy Bird)" from Genius Recipes. I am going to try the Judy Bird brining recipe this year. We will be deep frying the turkey. Do you rcommend this method AND frying? Any advice?

asked by Mrs. S about 5 years ago

Rebecca Vitale
Rebecca Vitale

Rebecca is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Hi Mrs. S-- I think that could probably work out just fine! Just make sure you pat down the bird with paper towel to remove any external moisture so it doesn't blow out in the hot oil. Happy Thanksgiving :)

Big G-man

Approach with extreme Caution...make sure you have an emergency plan in place and plenty of room. At least 10 to 20 feet away from combustilbles. Also dry the bird for a day in the fridge upside down near the end. Fluid can hang out along the backbone between the ribs. I also have a small fan blowing on the bird as it sets on the counter for an hour before taking the plunge.