A question about a recipe: Strata with Sausage and Greens

I have a question about the recipe "Strata with Sausage and Greens" from Merrill Stubbs. Oops! I'm just seeing the "refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours" bit and I don't have more than a half hour…how do you think this will affect the dish?

Bcb20aec 3014 4763 8642 642b139d7176  2013 1203 clara strata 015
Recipe question for: Strata with Sausage and Greens

Merrill Stubbs December 14, 2013

It really should chill for at least a couple of hours before you bake it -- otherwise the custard won't soak completely into the bread, and you'll have an uneven texture.

PaigeBakes
PaigeBakes December 15, 2013

Thank you! I ended up saving it for the next day so it was chilled overnight. I measured everything, but I didn't seem to have enough custard to filling. It looks dry. I'm sure it will be delicious! In the oven now...

Merrill Stubbs December 15, 2013

Hope it turned out okay! This has slightly less custard than some stratas -- which is why the resting time is really important so it can really soak onto the bread. I like the top a little crisp, so that's why I do it this way!

PaigeBakes
PaigeBakes December 18, 2013

It was delicious, Merrill. And, I'm in total agreement with you that the crisp top works. I'll be putting this in the regular rotation.

Merrill Stubbs December 18, 2013

Glad you liked it!