🔕 🔔

I want to make the perfect caramelized onion dip, however

I'm clear that the best onion dip flavors come from caramelized onions. Check! What always throws me off is the ratio of sour cream to cream cheese? Mayo? It seems when I add cream cheese my potato chips break. One of my favorite recipes has mayo as an ingredient, but I'm not sure. What I'm really asking is - what are your favorite ratios of sour cream, cream cheese, and mayo that create the perfect vehicle for oniony goodness on a chip? I allow myself this treat once a year. Any assistance my fellow Food52 crew may provide is much appreciated. Thank you!

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

asked almost 4 years ago

4c6ea460 9217 4186 b96b 8efb72cb6e32  twitter avi

After they're caramelized, give them a few quick pulses in the food processor to break them up. I would lose the mayo and sub in some Greek Yoghurt, unless you have some good (raw) milk and eggs to make your own mayo. I absolutely love this dip, but to get it to be "dippable" there needs to be at least twice as much sour cream and mayo/yoghurt to cream cheese. Get some really substantial chips, too. Like Cape Cod brand, or better yet... get out the kettle and some oil and some potatoes. But that's just crazy talk. Or is it?

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

This recipe is for the best onion dip I have ever had. And it is fool proof.
http://food52.com/recipes...

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

SKK - that dip looks amazing. I usually buy the ruffled Lay's so I don't have to worry about the chips breaking. I think I'll take your suggestion and give this one a try. Thanks SKK and Michael!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I like Barefoot Contessa's version. It has cream cheese, sour cream and mayo and its whizzed in the food processor with the onions that are pan fried until caramelizes.

Trena Heinrich

Thanks sexyLAMBCHOPx! That recipe looks delicious. I tend to like mayo in my recipe because I think it makes the texture better. Her ratio of mayo, sour cream, and cream cheese looks like it would be really nice. Thanks for the tip!

Your welcome, Trena. I've made it so many times and its delicious. Perfect for sturdy potato chips!