Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Helen Getz's Springerles

98fb6445 f340 4dab 908a c9334bd6bb25  springerles 1

I have a question about the recipe "Helen Getz's Springerles" from Amanda Hesser. The dough came out beautifully. However, I wonder about its texture since it stuck to my mold. I divided the dough in two, wrapped it in plastic and put it in fridge to chill while I have my neithersadnordesklunch (though it will involve raw kale). I don't have a marble surface, but it's not humid and I did turn down the thermostat. Should the dough be very stiff? It isn't, though it's certainly not as elastic as sfoglia. Since I am using an intricately detailed, press-down mold vs. a spingerle rolling pin, is there something I should be doing to the carved surface to discourage dough from adhering to grooves? Thanks!

asked by Eliz. almost 3 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Hi Eliz. Hmmm. I wish I had a clear answer for you. What size eggs did you use? I didn't specify but I was assuming large eggs. The reason I ask is that perhaps you used larger eggs and this contributed to a wetter dough. I haven't made the dough this year (yet!) but my memory is that it's stiff like a sugar cookie dough. One idea is to use more flour when pressing it with your molds (you can always brush off excess). And it you want to be more extreme, you could chill your mold in the fridge before pressing. I hope this is helpful, and I'm sorry it took me so long to respond -- last night I was up to my elbows wrapping gifts!

Df43343e db93 4fac a72d 68d05089a724  2013 09 09 13.45.37

Thank you for responding! I used large eggs, but wonder if whisking a mixture containing organic sugar by hand on a warm day might have compromised dough. I decided to divide it into two flat disks and chilled both for over four hours before following advice from a cookie-mold vendor who suggests brushing a little flour onto the carved surface. While it proved impossible to pull 12 clean impressions simultaneously from my flat mold, I was pleased with my first attempt to make Springerle. Dough rolled to thickness of approximately 3/8 inch gave best results as did standing on a chair to press down more forcefully on the mold (I'm guessing my counters were designed originally for Julia Child). The cookies made three little girls very happy, so I am much obliged!

E0b60e7d bcd6 4f71 9e6c a6f85d386778  2013 12 21 11 1.53.59

Eliz. thanks for the follow-up! Your springerle looks great -- what an amazing mold!