Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Roasted Prime Rib with Sauteed Mushrooms and Mom's Creamy Horseradish Sauce

D923f99c 1b05 45d3 8d0a ead52e9fe1c4  roasted prime rib with sauteed mushrooms and mom s creamy horseradish sauce

I have a question about the recipe "Roasted Prime Rib with Sauteed Mushrooms and Mom's Creamy Horseradish Sauce" from Waverly. Has anyone tried alternate method? Nervous that my oven will stay at high heat and never make it back to 350!

asked by slidedtd almost 3 years ago
8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

FYI - Last night my MIL served Prime Rib, roasted in the oven with an herb crust. It was delicious. She did go high for 20 minutes and then low. I don't think she thought about the time it would take to come down. Use your meat thermometer, and start high. If you know your oven, take it out and let it come to 350 and then put it in. You will do great!

F3a4504e 5c9a 4561 8d32 c7f051787db2  img 3223
thehappycook

Victoria is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Oops ...I'm not sure that my answer was added. Follow the directions on the recipe as the time for the oven to lower was also calculated into the final cooking time of the roast. The temperature of the oven will lower surprisingly quickly when a cold pan and piece of meat gets added. The recipe was tested by a food52 recipe tester who has been on the team virtually as long as the website has been around. If she'd had a problem with the temperature or time, she would have noted it in her notes! I'd stick to the recipe. Enjoy your roast!

74402dcc d340 465d 94ab e55b9a2faa01  prof

I followed the recipe and it was perfect (a little salty so will dial that down next time), though I never bothered with the horseradish cream sauce or mushrooms (blech!) . I opted for a nice au jus made with drippings and stock mmmm