A question about a recipe: Cardamom Lemon Sticky Buns

I have a question about the recipe "Cardamom Lemon Sticky Buns" from fiveandspice. no nutrition data, also, why use unsalted butter if you're going to add so much salt

• Posted by: Tim Nona
  • December 29, 2013
0cba852c 74b5 4fc5 ace5 8f202de3124f  cardamom sticky buns 2
Recipe question for: Cardamom Lemon Sticky Buns

sfmiller
sfmiller December 29, 2013

To the first question, recipes on this site generally don't include nutritional information.

To the second, most baking recipes call for unsalted butter, in part because the salt content of salted butter can considerably from brand to brand. Using unsalted butter ensures better control over total salt content. You could substitute salted butter, reducing the added salt by 1/4 tsp or so.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 29, 2013

tim, without sounding snotty, it's pretty much practiced by all serious bakers (52ers included of course!)-the use of only unsalted butter in baking. and prob kosher salt or sea salt instead of iodized table salt. If you find that you enjoy baking, you may want to get a Dorie Greenspan (Heroine for many of us) book in which she will explain ingredients in a much better way than i can.

Tim Nona
Tim Nona December 30, 2013

still doesn't address the 1t salt used, I understand the unsalted butter part. No interest in becoming a baker, just this recipe, so no additional books required

Voted the Best Reply!

boulangere December 30, 2013

Salt is present in virtually all yeasted breads, sweet or otherwise. Salt competes more successfully for water at the cellular level than yeast does. It effectively rations water available to yeast, which it must have in order to reproduce. One of the byproducts of reproduction, or fermentation, is carbon dioxide, which, when trapped within the network of gluten in the dough, expands as the dough warms (heat being another of the byproducts of fermentation), causing the dough to rise. If salt is omitted, yeast has access to all the water it desires, and fermentation turns into sort of a China Syndrome reaction. The yeast overproduces, causing dough to overproof, the effects of which are never good. The one saltless dough which comes to mind is Tuscan saltless bread. It has to be watched closely because it rises very rapidly in both fermentations (initial, and after shaping). It rises so much so fast that it can easily expand to the point that the gluten strands rupture, causing the trapped carbon dioxide to be released, and the resultant bread to have a flat-ish shape and somewhat crumbly texture. I hope this puts salt in dough into a helpful perspective for you.

Tim Nona
Tim Nona December 30, 2013

Extensive technical answer. Just trying to keep excess salt out of my body. Thanks for the response.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN December 30, 2013

p.s. this is about ONE TEASPOON of salt?? in a recipe that makes that many servings? i too watch salt but REAlly..... Better use of time, perhaps, to focus on the salty stuff- processed foods, cured meats, cheeses,canned goods, Asian foods...

ATG117
ATG117 December 31, 2013

To me, 1 teaspoon of salt actually seems like too little salt for this recipe. I'd probably add a bit more; I usually do in most of the baking I do. Salt brings out the sweetness and makes the end product more enjoyable. Re the unsalted butter and added salt, I agree with Sfmiller