A question about a recipe: Cardamom Lemon Sticky Buns

0cba852c 74b5 4fc5 ace5 8f202de3124f  cardamom sticky buns 2

I have a question about the recipe "Cardamom Lemon Sticky Buns" from fiveandspice. no nutrition data, also, why use unsalted butter if you're going to add so much salt

asked by Tim Nona over 4 years ago

sfmiller

To the first question, recipes on this site generally don't include nutritional information.

To the second, most baking recipes call for unsalted butter, in part because the salt content of salted butter can considerably from brand to brand. Using unsalted butter ensures better control over total salt content. You could substitute salted butter, reducing the added salt by 1/4 tsp or so.

LE BEC FIN

tim, without sounding snotty, it's pretty much practiced by all serious bakers (52ers included of course!)-the use of only unsalted butter in baking. and prob kosher salt or sea salt instead of iodized table salt. If you find that you enjoy baking, you may want to get a Dorie Greenspan (Heroine for many of us) book in which she will explain ingredients in a much better way than i can.

Tim Nona

still doesn't address the 1t salt used, I understand the unsalted butter part. No interest in becoming a baker, just this recipe, so no additional books required

Tim Nona

Extensive technical answer. Just trying to keep excess salt out of my body. Thanks for the response.

LE BEC FIN

p.s. this is about ONE TEASPOON of salt?? in a recipe that makes that many servings? i too watch salt but REAlly..... Better use of time, perhaps, to focus on the salty stuff- processed foods, cured meats, cheeses,canned goods, Asian foods...

ATG117

To me, 1 teaspoon of salt actually seems like too little salt for this recipe. I'd probably add a bit more; I usually do in most of the baking I do. Salt brings out the sweetness and makes the end product more enjoyable. Re the unsalted butter and added salt, I agree with Sfmiller