A question about a recipe: Lemony Oniony Chicken Lorenza

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Lemony Oniony Chicken Lorenza" from LE BEC FIN. The recipe instructs to let the raw chicken rest unrefrigerated for 6 hours before cooking. Is this safe?

asked by pamelaf almost 5 years ago

LE BEC FIN

hi pamela, the reason that it IS o.k. in this instance is that it is essentially brined with all that S, and P., rubbed inside and out; then it is infused w/ lemon juice and onion(acid is a preservative as well as a meat tenderizer). And finally, it is coated in a sealing layer of melted butter, keeping the salt, onion and lemon in close contact with the chicken.
In the heat of july/august i leave it in the frig for 1 or 2 days, and i also do that if schedule has the chicken sitting for 2 days instead of one, but otherwise i do it at room temp for a day. But if you'd rather do it in the frig, no worries! (If, when you serve it, it is NOT intensely lemony oniony, i would advise letting it marinade longer next time.)

LE BEC FIN

what a moot point, tough love! you could say the same thing about 50% of the practices in most home kitchens.

Well,not in my home kitchen. I know this is what would happen because I have a state food handler's certificate. And I've seen the inspectors at work. As to the other 50% well...

ATG117

I am not a food safety expert, but I personally would not feel comfortable leaving chicken out for that many hours, even with the salt, pepper, etc.

LE BEC FIN

yes,toughlove, me too.