🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Classic Diner Burger

A99f595d b031 4647 808d 209034f995a4  burgers

I have a question about the recipe "Classic Diner Burger" from thirschfeld. Very juicy burger that unfortunately I overcooked. How long should it take in the oven to get to medium rare?

asked by CarlaK almost 4 years ago

The second worst place to cook a "diner" burger is in the oven. The very worst is one of those outdoor "sun ovens". The optimum place is outside on a grill. Second best is on your cooktop using either a griddle or a skillet. And don't be a flipper! Burgers and steaks should be turned only once. And have a Thermapen handy to check it for your desired degree of doneness.

Check Serious Eats Burger Lab. Kenji suggests flipping a burger every 15 seconds. Personally, I use a cast iron skillet and follow Kenji's rules re: seasoning, cooking and flipping and have great results every time.

I associate frantic burger flipping with hyperactive 20-somethings who feel obligated to make it look like they're cooking---or at least doing something. If you do this you will lose the lovely grill marks which score the outsides of the burger.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

So many factors; how thick, what temperature, etc., besides Pierino's note...do invest in a good instant read thermometer and remember the meat still continues to "cook" after it is off the heat and resting.

Here is how I cook any burger, not just bison:
http://thesolitarycook...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I can put up with the flippers...as been mentioned it's not flipping is more 'romance' than science.

But the mashers...they shouldn't be allowed to play to with fire.