Documentaries!

Any good food or restaurant based documentaries? Thanks

asked by Noah Truwit almost 5 years ago

Jiro Dreams of Sushi was very good.

Mo3b

Great question! Netflix has a lot. Here's a few: Haute Cuisine, Kings of Pastry, Three Stars, A Matter of Taste, El Bulli, Somm...

LE BEC FIN

noah, if you go to chowhound.com and find the General Topics board, do a search for "films." I added a number of films to that thread.
In addition to those already recommended here, I recently saw some very good ones on the le Cirque owner, Danny Myers of Manhattan fame,Corn and its monopoly in our lives,and an eccentric NYC chef named Ed Shopkin? PBS did an American Masters on Alice Waters.

Le Bec Fin, I think you mean Kenny Shopsin who ran a quirky, small neighborhood place (called Shopsin's) in the West Village for years. Crazy eclectic menu, sort of locally legendary - Calvin Trillin even wrote about it in The New Yorker years ago, if you're interested: http://www.newyorker.com...

It closed after many years and later reopened on the Lower East Side, so it's still around in some form. I didn't know there was a film about him - going to look for it!

Mindy, Le Cirque is owned by Sirio Maccioni, not Danny Meyer.

There's a Food Film Festival in NYC (and Chicago) every fall, but I just checked and it's also held in Charleston, scheduled for April 24-26. Many of the films are doc's. If none of those cities works, maybe you could find some of the previous years' winners (they're listed) online or at Netflix: http://thefoodfilmfestival.com/

LE BEC FIN

hiya june, i guess my comma didn't work there, eh? i meant for that to be 2 diff people.

LE BEC FIN

amy,yep, that's him! here ya go:
http://www.seriouseats...

noah, take a look at this link to Serioues Eats because it links to a weekly food film blog.