A question about a recipe: A Simple Homey, Coconut-y Red Lentil Dal

734f1f70 1037 41e0 a4d7 f867a320a475  2013 1216 nicholas coconut dal 018

I have a question about the recipe "A Simple Homey, Coconut-y Red Lentil Dal" from Nicholas. How much water should I use when making this in the slow cooker? I imagine it would be fewer than 7 cups of water.

asked by Cassandroll over 4 years ago

Community Editor at Food52

The recipe that this was adapted from (in Anupy Singla's The Indian Slow Cooker) actually calls for 9 cups of water, and as Nicholas notes in the headnotes, when using a slow cooker, Singla recommends cooking the lentils on low for 5 1/2 hours and then for another 30 minutes after adding the coconut milk.

Community Editor at Food52

And in the related article, Nicholas noted that the first time he made the recipe he did so in a slow cooker, so you could always send him a direct message to ask, just click the envelope button on his profile page here: http://food52.com/users....

Keep in mind, too, that slow cookers vary, depending on size/diameter, age/"horsepower", etc. That said, this recipe is so forgiving. There is no single perfect dal texture or consistency. I don't use my slow cooker for dals, given how quickly red lentils cook up on the stove. Also, I'd want to see the original slow cooker recipe before converting Nicholas' recipe. I know that this recipe has tomatoes in it. Under no circumstances should you put raw onions in the slow cooker with tomatoes or any other high-acid ingredient. They simply must be sweated thoroughly at the outset or the outcome will be, in a word, awful. (This is one lesson you don't want to learn the hard way.) ;o)