🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sour Cherry Liqueur - Ginginha

98ad23a9 441c 4302 bdee c84d63a97b54  2 copos de ginja

I have a question about the recipe "Sour Cherry Liqueur - Ginginha" from Maria Teresa Jorge. What kind of red wine works best for this recipe?

asked by Simone over 3 years ago

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

i would suggest a generic red table wine or an inexpensive australian shiraz (yellowtail is fine) or cote de rhone. fruity,dry, full bodied, not high tannins.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I have had ginginha a few times while in Lisbon. It is made by infusing sour cherries with Portuguese brandy, and a bit of sugar and cinnamon.
I would suggest following that thought and use brandy, not wine.
It is normally served in a small shooter (any time of day when in Lisbon !)
I don't know of any ginginha made with wine.

Thanks very much to you both for your answers--very helpful!

Since the recipe calls for wine, I’d try one that has cherry notes in it--perhaps an Amarone or Primitivo? I also wonder if a Port might be interesting.