A question about a recipe: Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit

I have a question about the recipe "Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit" from TasteFood. The recipe calls for a 2 1/2lb pork butt, but mine is 4lb. How long should I increase the cook time?

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN February 17, 2014

If I were doing it, i would double all the other ingreds so that i had enough (and maybe extra) sauce; and i would up the cooking time by 1/2; check it then, and continue cooking til it easily comes apart. I would double check the cooking time by doing a search for Pork Shoulder in 52 or google, and find a braised 4 lb recipe and see how long they cook it.

bigpan
bigpan February 17, 2014

Depending on the size and shape of the meat; the actual temperature of your oven and whether you want to cook slow-and-low or not - I would invest in a good instant read thermometer and cook it until 160-165F in the middle. Any higher you might tend to dry the meat out.

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 17, 2014

There are many comments for this popular recipe that others have shared their changes based on a bigger pork butt. For example, CarlaCooks commented "I made this for a dinner party last night and it received rave reviews! The flavors are so well balanced: sweet, savory, and rich. Because I was feeding 7 people, I used a cut closer to 4 pounds. I doubled the onions, apples, and garlic, though only used 1.5 x the liquid (I was afraid of the liquid overflowing from my dutch oven). I didn't have any Calvados, so I used cognac. I had it in the oven for about 5 hours and it came out perfect! For serving, I partially shredded the meat, put it on a platter, and spooned the confit/sauce over it. Thanks for a lovely dish, TasteFood!"

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 17, 2014

Laura
Laura November 6, 2016

I had a 4.5 lb roast and cut it into two pieces. Doubled all the rest of ingredients and cooked for 3 hours. It was perfect!