A question about a recipe: Breton Butter Cake

Bce3e892 d789 4d9a b231 6ebb0fa01204  image tjh7842

I have a question about the recipe "Breton Butter Cake" from thirschfeld. Can you substitute another starch for the corn starch?

asked by Kelly Peters over 4 years ago

darksideofthespoon

I've tried subbing rice flour for cornstarch.. it worked, but definitely not the same texture. In the recipe you posted it seems like such a small amount of CS that you might be able to get away with it.

flesch

You could try arrowroot, which turns out very similar to cornstarch. The only difference is arrowroot is more expensive

ChezHenry

Potato starch would work well.

Marin Trinity

I agree Flesch! Arrowroot is awesome, I used it in placeof three tbs. of cornstarch in an ice cream base recipe and it was really good!

I always use potato starch in lieu of cornstarch.

LE BEC FIN

june, plse tell why. Should i not be using cornstarch iyo?

Kelly Peters

Thanks! I actually have Arrowroot on hand. Also have potato starch as well. I haven't done much GF baking yet except for a few mixes that weren't all that great. Thanks again!