A question about a recipe: Mushroom Ramen

D882823a 7a0e 4331 bf68 f596a0c49c6d  mushroom ramen

I have a question about the recipe "Mushroom Ramen" from thirschfeld. What's a good substitute for the bacon? I'd love a vegetarian version of ramen.

asked by Windischgirl over 4 years ago

Kazugi

Maybe smoked tempeh bacon.....

Windischgirl

Hmmm, that's a thought and I'll have to try it. I don't necessarily need to have the smoky flavor but do want the deep umami that bacon gives. I'm thinking maybe some dried mushrooms and shoyu?

petitbleu

Dried mushrooms and shoyu are right on the money. Both of those ingredients add tons of umami. Sounds like you're on the right track. Maybe even try adding a little miso.

Sandra Antonella

Can you eat fish? A Japaneese market will sell frozen eel that's been grilled in a sauce. The same Unagi type eel you get for sushi.
You remove the skin by pulling it off--it's been cooked so the skin comes off nicely. Then brush it again with sugar, ginger, soy sauce mix that's been cooked down and broil until crisp. Cut it up in little strips.

savorthis

I found that a combo of fresh mushrooms, dried mushrooms and some onion/leeks work well to deepen a mushroom broth (http://food52.com/recipes...) and during Meatless March I once added a teabag or two of lapsang souchong tea to some broth in lieu of bonito flakes. It added a nice smokiness and a bit more depth.