A question about a recipe: Crispy Coconut Kale with Roasted Salmon and Coconut Rice

3ca27245 74de 4612 b167 a4642f049991  2014 0211 crispy coconut kale roasted salmon 006

I have a question about the recipe "Crispy Coconut Kale with Roasted Salmon and Coconut Rice" from Ashley Couse | Bloom & Nourish. Do you have any suggestions for wine pairings? I'm serving this to company and really want something that will goes well. Thank you!

asked by Kathy Frazier over 4 years ago

Cristina Sciarra

My suggestion would be to find a local wine shop that employs a knowledgable buyer. I often go to my local shop with a specific dish in mind--he knows a lot more than I ever will about wine and food pairings.

bigpan

If you want to go with the white-with-fish theory, I'd pick an un-oaked chardonnay from Australia...usually nice and soft. To be bold with a red, pick a light red like a merlot - surprisingly red can work well with salmon.
You can also check on the internet for decent seafood restaurants (anywhere in the internet world) and look at their online menus and what they pair with salmon.
Local wine store is a good idea - if it has a big selection. Of course, they will only recommend what they sell, and young employees have little knowledge.

CH-4500

A dry Riesling would suit well I believe.

I would choose an off-dry Riesling -- preferably from the Finger Lakes or Germany. The sweetness of the coconut may clash with one that is too dry. If you go German, don't get one that is labeled "Trocken." (That is German for "dry." Kabinett will be better. I would choose Riesling for the tinge of sweetness, and the high acidity.

Bevi

A pinot gris or even rose might be nice.