A question about a recipe: White Bean Soup

Fe31da22 f002 4b8f 9a2f 0df86f548001  food52 12 04 12 0313

I have a question about the recipe "White Bean Soup" from Merrill Stubbs. can cooking water from the beans be used for stock?

asked by Horto over 4 years ago

Do you mean the water that the beans have soaked in?

Carol Dan

I'm assuming you mean the water left in beans after they cook - I cook beans from scratch frequently in my pressure cooker, usually with just a quartered onion and olive oil. I add more water than I need (at least 10 cups for 1 pound - maybe a little more) because the resulting liquid is so delicious. I wouldn't use it entirely in place of stock or broth - but - I add it to soups or stews along with broth or stock. Especially the water from freshly cooked chickpeas. Delish!!!

Chef's Hat

Whenever I need to boil or soak something, I keep the liquids and use them to cook pasta in or something. You can use it for almost everything that needs liquid.
Or some water from boiling pasta goes great in the sauce you're serving it with. But please, never get rid of those flavor-packed liquids.