A question about a recipe: Espresso Banana Bread

I have a question about the recipe "Espresso Banana Bread" from fiveandspice. How will the baking time/temperature change if I only have access to an cast iron skillet right now? Thanks.

• Posted by: yomabes
  • March 12, 2014
613b4f39 9ecc 42ce b107 5d0ba0d7dbb5  espresso banana bread 1
Recipe question for: Espresso Banana Bread

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN March 13, 2014

your answer has to do with how thick/high the bread can be, given your pan. if the recipe calls for a loaf pan, and your skillet is actually a skillet and not a loaf pan, so it is maybe 2-3" high, then your bread will bake faster in the skillet because it is not as high and the heat doesn't ake as long to bake the center. so start checking for doneness, using a toothpick inserted into the center, maybe halfway through the loaf pan baking time, and every 5-8 minutes after that, until the toothpick comes out clean (no batter clinging.)

ChezHenry
ChezHenry March 13, 2014

A thermometer is always your friend in the kitchen. In fact its indispensable. Most breads are cooked through with an internal temperature between 190-200 degrees. Over the years I've experimented with different quick breads, yeast breads, cupcakes, etc. Its a fool-proof methodology.