A question about a recipe: Chicken Legs in Tomato Gravy

I have a question about the recipe "Chicken Legs in Tomato Gravy" from thirschfeld. Can I mash the potatoes by hand or does this dish really benefit from use of the mixer or ricer? Loathe to clean another appliance...

8a29e6b8 ce70 4907 9c21 701f69d23ae3  image tjh4418
Recipe question for: Chicken Legs in Tomato Gravy

FoodIsLove
FoodIsLove March 21, 2014

Sorry but I always use a ricer for mashed potatoes, personal preference as it makes the potatoes very light and lump free. When I was a young cook, in my early twenties and very naive I used a food processor for mashed potatoes and the gluten was awful. After that, I made it my business to find a way to make potatoes that weren't "gloppy"....ergo enter the ricer.

Tina Miller
Tina Miller March 21, 2014

An yes, I too tried the food processor years ago, the result being potatoes that would have made great wall paper paste. I'll dig out the ricer - thanks for your help.

nancy essig
nancy essig March 22, 2014

Potatoes mashed with a ricer are so delicious that you would clean 10 appliances just to have them in your mouth.

CarlaCooks
CarlaCooks March 24, 2014

I actually prefer thick and chunky mashed potatoes, so I always use a pastry cutter to mash potatoes. But that's just to suite my own taste.