A question about a recipe: Olive Oil Cake

Ae7948eb a105 483a 9c5a 974ecd2f43ae  gtg olive oil

I have a question about the recipe "Olive Oil Cake" from Kim Boyce. My fluted tart pan has a removable bottom. Does anyone know if that works with this cake, or should I just go with a cake pan?

asked by durun99 over 4 years ago

I would use a cake pan. Be sure to line it with parchment.

LE BEC FIN

yes; tart pans aren't meant for cake batter because they have a removable bottom and the batter will leak out. You need an enclosed pan; a loaf pan or square pan or muffin pans-can all work too.

durun99

Dry mix
Olive oil for the pan
¾ cup spelt flour
1½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar [150 grams]
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon kosher salt

Wet mix
3 eggs
1 cup olive oil
¾ cup whole milk
1½ tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate (about 70% cacao), cut into roughly ½-inch pieces

1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Rub a 9½-inch fluted tart pan with olive oil.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, pouring back into the bowl any bits of grain or other ingredients that may remain in the sifter, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs thoroughly. Add the olive oil, milk, and rosemary and whisk again. Using a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, gently mixing until just combined. Stir in the chocolate. Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly and smoothing the top.
4. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the top is domed, golden brown, and darker around the edges, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. The cake can be eaten warm or cool from the pan, or cooled, wrapped tightly in plastic, and kept for up to 2 days.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I've certainly baked cakes in my tart pan w/ removable bottom without any leaking batter. The weight of the batter holds the bottom tight against the rim. Perhaps the runniest batters would leak, but I would go ahead and try it, particularly since a tart pan is indicated in the recipe. Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet as a backup if you're worried.

durun99

Thanks. I actually did what dinner at ten suggested and baked the cake in the suggested tart pan, but placed it on a sheet pan just in case. In fact, the cake baked perfectly, but oil (no cake batter) did leak out the bottom of the pan onto the sheet pan, so I would say that is the correct answer if using a tart pan with a removable bottom. And it is worth using the tart pan because it looks nice and helps crisp up the edges. Thanks again for all the replies.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

If your batter's fairly liquid, I've had good luck just wrapping my removable-bottom tart pan in foil to catch anything that might leak (haven't had a problem with that, but better safe than sorry...).