A question about a recipe: Lemon-Blueberry Ricotta Scones

Aac48de7 0abf 43c0 8172 725ad265c7ef  scones sm

I have a question about the recipe "Lemon-Blueberry Ricotta Scones" from Heena. Can you leave out the ricotta?

asked by Christine Kitoko over 4 years ago

ATG117

No. You'd have to sub it with something. You might be able to try using very well strained greek yogurt (drained over cheesecloth or paper towels), but I can't promise on the results, seeing that I've never tried it.

If you just omitted the ricotta, your scones would be beyond dry and crumbly. The recipe needs it for moisture.

Kels Murdoch

I agree that omitting the ricotta would not have great results; just wouldn't work, since the ricotta is a large part of what holds the scones together. Subbing yogurt might work alright, but would affect the texture of the scones.

May I suggest this recipe? It's a favorite at my house, and it's perfectly fine to trade the half & half listed for regular milk. The scones won't be as rich, but still delicious.
http://rush-slowly.blogspot.com/2010/07/blueberry-scones-with-lemon-ginger.html

ATG117

After reflecting on my previous response, I decided that it's probably a better idea to find a recipe that doesn't call for ricotta. The yogurt may work, but part of the point of the recipe you selected is the ricotta. Without it, you might as well find another recipe that is certain to work.