🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sweet and Savory Overnight Roast Pork

D0da8160 b637 4a69 b90d 4bc7d91b836a  pork roast food52 mark weinberg 14 05 06 0148

I have a question about the recipe "Sweet and Savory Overnight Roast Pork" from Merrill Stubbs. I do not like mustard. Is there anything I can substitute? Would mayo work? Thank you!

asked by beezledog over 3 years ago

The mustard is what counterbalances the sweet ingredients in the recipe. Mayo wouldn't be the proper substitution here. Instead, I'd look for a recipe that calls for a different flavor profile. A google search for overnight roast pork turned up one from Jamie Oliver. I'm sure there are others too.

You are not going to get a mustard taste from a tablespoon of mustard spread over a four pound roast. Be adventurous and try it. If you really don’t want to, then you might mix a tablespoon of vinegar with the sugar and syrup. That would balance the sweetness.

The purpose of the mustard is to allow the rub to adhere to the pork butt. Otherwise it falls off the meat and you use a lot more rub. You will not taste it, so use the cheapest prepared yellow mustard you can find.