A question about a recipe: GRANDMA JESSIE'S WYOMING HOMEMADE ICE CREAM

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "GRANDMA JESSIE'S WYOMING HOMEMADE ICE CREAM" from BRUCE ABBOTT. So you don't cook this first? Raw eggs?

asked by Patricia Bennett over 4 years ago

That's what it looks like. You might want to message the recipe writer directly just to make sure.

Lots of ice cream recipes call for raw eggs. The US FDA shttp://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/homemadeicecream.htmluggests cooking them to 160 degrees

Whoa, sorry about that! I've been having trouble adding links to answers the past few days. I'll try again, or just google "raw eggs in ice cream." Besides the FDA advice, you'll get a lot of recipes.

Here goes with another try at the link:

http://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/homemadeicecream.html

strawberrygirl

Eggs or egg yolks in ice cream act as an emulsifying agent suspending the butterfat particles, and also contribute to a richer and creamier texture. Some recipes, like this one, use whole raw eggs, while others use egg yolks cooked in a custard to above the recommended temperature for food safety. If you're serving the ice cream to anyone elderly, pregnant, or with a compromised immune system, or if you just don't feel comfortable with the idea of using raw eggs, there are plenty of excellent ice cream recipes without them. David Lebovitz (whose book The Perfect Scoop is my ice cream bible) has a bunch of recipes on his blog using the cooked custard method: http://www.davidlebovitz...

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I think it depends a lot on the eggs in question. Farm fresh eggs that have been handled properly have very little chance of harming you. Note: I said handled properly, which includes cleaned in a way that does not penetrate or weaken the membrane that protects the egg contents (not as easy as it seems), &c.

Depending on where you live in the world, the eggs in the shop can be upto a year old before they go on the shelf. These are the eggs you need to worry about as the natural protective barrier weakens over time and so the eggs need to be kept safe with proper temp and environmental controls. On top of that, the conditions the hens are kept in, and their diet, will affect the safety of the raw eggs.